Monday, October 5, 2009

Delicious Low Fat, Sugar Free, High Fiber Granola Recipe

I have always loved granola but only ate it every now & then because its so unhealthy. Store bought is full of oil and sugar. So I started making our own when James & I committed to eating healthy. I LOVE this granola & am losing weight eating it!

Spiced Granola

6 cups rolled or steel cut oats(not quick or instant)
2 teas cinnamon
1 teas ginger
1/3 cup honey
3 egg whites
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
6 oz bag dried tropical fruit (sometimes I can only find trail mix so I pick the nuts out)
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine oats, cinnamon, and ginger in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the honey, egg whites. and applesauce. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir. Pat into a long pan or cookie sheet, loosely forming large mounds. Bake for one hour taking it out to stir every 15 minutes. Watch for large nuggets, they should be broken down into smaller parts during the stirring time or they will be soft inside. Let cool, then add fruit and almonds.

I always double this recipe because we go through it too fast otherwise. This recipe is picky cereal-eater approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment