Wednesday, September 23, 2009

kids and trees

the baby decided he is going on a growth spurt and needed as much milk as possible to take along for the ride! he is now eating every 2-2 1/2 hours right now. p.s. when I type in lower caps, I'm one handed because I'm feeding the baby.

I realized something yesterday as I stared at the trees in the HEB parking lot (it was my only view while feeding the baby in the van). our foster kids are very much like transplanted trees. they are ripped out of the soil where they were planted and stuck somewhere foreign (our house). they can be given everything they (technically) need to grow and thrive and yet some of them just won't make it. even with therapy, love, tons of food, long conversations, built in friends (our other boys), lessons in things they are interested in and more, some just give up. watching that happen will rip your heart up.

we had lots of new trees transplanted into our yard 2 years ago. some are growing faster than others but most are growing at least a little. we had a tree guy come and work on them and he informed us that one spindly little tree was actually dead. james went and pulled on it and it broke right off, the trunk just tore. it was rotten on the inside. that tree reminds me of some of the boys we've had to say goodbye to. it didn't matter what we did, how hard we prayed, how hard we worked or even how much we loved them, they were determined to give up on themselves. it is the hardest thing about our job, having to say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. That is so true! I worked with foster parents a lot when I was at Family Service Center. Kids could be in the best foster home ever and still have trouble. It takes a special person to do what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete